There are sharply divided opinions about euthanasia and I’ve grouped them into 3 categories that I’ve encountered.
- Euthanizing an animal is fine if they are sick, annoying, or you just want to try out a different pet
- Euthanasia is a final option if all medical options are exhausted and the bird is on the edge of death (this is typical in humans)
- Euthanasia should be applied to animals that are suffering and there are no available options to alleviate it other than a lifetime of painkillers
There is also the added issue of financial burden. Categories 2 and 3 are evaluated differently if medical options are unaffordable.
With a blog called Free Range Parrots, I predictably believe in the third option. Part of being free is being free from unending suffering. How do you tell if your bird is suffering?
- It’s not playing or singing or chirping much
- It’s fairly inactive
- It acts much better after giving a painkiller, indicating they are in considerable pain
- Sometimes you can just intuit it by looking at the bird
Euthanising a bird is an extremely difficult thing and obviously should be given a lot of consideration.… READ THE REST